Sunday, September 20, 2009

What Is It We Really Want?

The other day, my friend "M" and I were sitting on the deck, enjoying a beautiful afternoon. The weather was perfect, not too hot or humid. We were enjoying our diet Cokes in wine glasses (seems a bit more sophisticated for some reason) and basically taking it easy before we had to part company and start thinking about what to make for dinner or how many loads of laundry we'd finish before falling, exhausted, into bed.
"What do you need to be happy?" M asked me. "I've been racking my brain about this for days and I can't think of one thing that would make me happy."
"I think having more time to travel would make me happy," I said. "Or at least a little happier."
We've had many conversations the past several months about this topic. What does it really take to make a person happy? Make us happy, that is. We've both come to the conclusion that it certainly isn't material things, although we like material things. We're happy that our children are happy and seem to have their lives in order. We're excited for their futures and hope they make wiser choices than we did. We realize it's pointless to lament about the past but we're still trying to figure out how we should tackle our futures. We both know what we'd like to do but have not yet worked up the courage to do it.
Right now, right at this moment, I am happy. My Ravens beat San Diego tonight. My laundry is done, for the most part. My house is quiet and peaceful.
Perhaps that is enough for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment