Tuesday, January 12, 2010

You're Killing my Mojo

When my mother was in her early fifties, she finally made it to Europe. It was a voyage she'd been waiting for her whole life. She was woman filled with wanderlust, but sadly, saddled with three children, failing kidneys, and a husband who could only afford to take her on one trip of a lifetime. But she was grateful for her 17 day adventure, even if it didn' t take her to every country she'd dreamed of exploring.
I only mention this because my mom was the poster child for the glass half full mentality of happy people. Her doctors always said she lived as long as she did (far exceeding their expectations) because of her positive mental outlook on life. She was truly a living example of mind over matter.
My dad, a wonderful , loving guy, was eventually dealt his own crappy medical kick in the ass and decided he wanted to check out asap. There was no holding his head high and laughing death in the face. He wanted to check out and check out fast. The doctors predicted he would live no longer than five years after their diagnosis of a horrible neurological disorder, and he died within exactly that time frame. He was not a good patient, but he was a great father. I'm just happy he's now at peace.
I'm rambling, I know, but I'm only remembering two very important people in my life, who loved each other depsite being polar opposites, and because of certain people currently in my life who I have termed Joy Killers. Debbie Downers. Dream Suckers. I think you get the idea.
In a nutshell, if you're feeling happy or relatively good about life, they will be more than happy to drop by and be the needle that pops your balloon. I don't think their intent is meanness, they can't help themselves. It's part of their genetic makeup.
You can even point this debilitating trait out to them and they will deny, deny, deny.
I'll keep my glass half-filled, no matter how hard they try to drain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment