Monday, March 29, 2010

Urban Annoyances

I was a child of the suburbs but since 1987 have been a city dweller, living close to my port town's quirky downtown area. It has its pros and cons.
For example, this morning on her Facebook page, one of my friends, another city resident, used her status update to vent frustrations over the idiots who ate chicken wings and used her street as a trash can, and for even further insult, someone threw up in her planter.
Oh sure, it may not sound like the end of the world, but for those of use who rehabbed old, dilapidated rowhouses and other buildings, and turned them into our homes, it's insulting. I hate pointing fingers, but it's rarely middle-aged adults pulling these types of antics. My particular neighborhood has a reputation for heavy booze-related activity since the late 1600's. It was trawling grounds for drunken sailors, privateers, and women of questionable character.
It hasn't changed much over the years.

Whenever I complain, my suburbanite friends say I should have known. And you know what, I fully understand that living in the big city comes along with its own special brand of headaches. Petty crime, lack of parking, trash, rats. The list is endless. Our mayor is ready to cut hundreds of people from the police and fire departments, and people are very upset.
What it comes down to is that you have to pick your battles.

My house is located on a small alley street, not far from a bakery complex. The employees who work in the baking and packaging portion of the company have to wear paper hair nets. Several walk to work, and use my street as a bypass, which is fine. Using my street as a trash can to dispose of the hairnets, not so fine. There's a trash receptacle located at the top of the street, they walk right by it.
So now I collect the hairnets and save them in a plastic bag. At the end of each week, I take them to the bakery's head office and hand them to the human resource director. We're now on a first name basis.
And each and every time I make a delivery she says to me, "I am so sorry. I'll talk to them."
But there's only so much she can do, there's no way I could ever confirm who is to blame. Just a part of city living.
Sure beats the time I found three guys dressed as Superman peeing on my garage door at Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment