Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Firsts and Seconds

It's real gift to have the opportunity to watch young people grow into responsible adults. My daughter is still navigating her way through the teenage years, and yes, it's not been easy for either of us. Sometimes she's to blame for the issues that come between us. Too many times, I'm ashamed to say, I'm the one at fault. But we'll make it through, I'm sure of that.
But before she was born, I had two other young women that came into my life, courtesy of my husband. They're my step-daughters, if we have to put a label on it, but really, they're my friends. They have a mother, a truly wonderful woman, who I consider a friend.
My oldest step-daughter, "J" is now older than I was when I met her father. She's happily married with a young son of her own, and she lets me know that I'm his grandma, too.
Today is my youngest step-daughter's birthday. "K" is now thirty-one years old. She was fifteen when I first met her. When her dad and I married, with a baby soon to be on the way, K took it in good stride. But she let her feelings be known on her vanishing status as the baby of the family.
"I'd like to be known as youngest child, first marriage," she said.
I don't know if she even remembers saying that, but I still remember, and it makes me chuckle every time I think about it.
Happy birthday, K. May you have many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment