Friday, November 20, 2009

I Just Want Me!

I had to chuckle over my brother's latest Facebook status update. He's been keeping everyone up to date on the new baby, his youngest daughter. The original youngest daughter has now been granted that dubious position in the sibling world, the middle-child. At the age of four, she's already proving to be perfect for the role.
My brother's comment went something like this: "My 'Little Miss Sunshine" just announced she doesn't want a baby sister or an older brother, I just want me!"
It's going to be an interesting few months, he predicts.
Just for the record, he was the youngest of the three children in our family, and as the oldest child, his big sister, I can attest that he covered just about every stereotype associated with the youngest child. Spoiled, indulged, lazy. But maybe I'm remembering all that through the jaded eye of the oldest sibling, the one typically saddled with the most responsibility. Or maybe I'm bitter because I was the one who had to wipe his butt while he was toilet-training (if that doesn't scar an adolescent girl, I don't know what will).
But back to my poor little niece, knocked off the Princess pedestal even before starting kindergarten.
It's all about the drop in  attention she already understands is coming her way.
My daughter and I will be visiting them for several days over the Christmas holidays. We can't wait to get our hands on her. Oh don't get me wrong, we can't wait to cuddle with the new baby, or roughhouse a bit with my seven year old nephew. I love them all equally. But it's the middle one who is going to prove to be the most entertaining. Or as my brother refers to her, The Evil One.
"You're going to give her a complex," I told him over the phone the other night. "That whole evil thing can really leave it's mark on a kid."
"Are you kidding me," he said. "She's proud of it!"

I have a feeling she's going to be my favorite...but don't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment