Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey and Twilight

Whew. The long Thanksgiving weekend is almost a wrap. It was, and it was not, what I'd thought it would be. Dinner at M's was a complete delight. Great company, delicious food, with an Argentinian flair (M's native country).
Even though work consumed the majority of my weekend, there was still time for a couple of fun events. Teenzilla dragged me to see the new Twilight movie. Let me start the review by saying I have had no desire to read the books. The vampires contained within the pages have been completely bastardized, in my opinion. But it gets even worse in the movie. I missed the first one, but based on the second installment, I think I'm pretty much done, thanks anyway.
If you're not familiar with the story line here goes:
There's Bella and Edward. Bella's human, Edward is the vampire who falls for her. He's a vampire who glitters when he's out during the daytime. I have no idea as to why...silly me, I thought vampires were supposed to be tucked snugly away in their coffins during the day. Bella and Edward live in the gloomy Northwest, lots of rain and ominous weather, apparently. Then there's a hot young werewolf who lives on an Native American reservation. He's under some genetic, tribal curse and his fate is that he turns into this oversized, angry wolf when he gets upset...or something along those lines. He also loves Bella (wish I could remember the poor kid's name, but I think my mind went blank when he ripped off  his shirt, gave the over-hormonized teen girls a gander at his six pack abs, and wiped blood from Bella's head after a motorcycle crash) but of course must vie for her attention from the handsome, pasty, brooding Edward.
There's lots and lots of deep and meaningful looks at one another, screaming from bad dreams, semi-passionate hugging and kissing, lame reasons for hot young men to remove their shirts, and enough bad dialogue to make your eardrums want to pack a bag and march out of  your ear canals.
And yet, women eat this crapola up bigtime. I don't get it.
I know some diehard Twilight fan will bust me for leaving out what they perceive is the heart and soul of a beautiful storyline. Sorry, it simply wasn't for me. I like my vampires pure and simple, and really, really bloodthirsty. Give me Bela Lugosi or Vlad the Impaler any day, thank you.
The rest of the weekend, I managed to get in a craft show or two. Caught up on some sleep. And sadly, no leftover turkey sandwiches.
The only bad thing about being the Thanksgiving hostess. There's always next year, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment