Sunday, December 6, 2009

Do I Really Have to Pay to Go to Detroit?

For three weeks now, I've been on an extensive internet hunt for the best air fares to my hometown, Detroit. As you may or may not be aware, Detroit has been having tough time the past couple of years. Many would argue that it's never been easy in the Motor city. But lately, the situation seems to be even more depressing than usual. For the love of God, the Pontiac Silverdome was recently sold at auction for a mere 585 thousand dollars! What does that tell you?
But getting back to my air fare search...
Here's what kills me: having to pay more than four hundred dollars for a round trip ticket to Detroit. I recently flew to Paris and only paid five hundred dollars for a round trip fare. I enjoyed Paris, it was my first trip to that gorgeous city and I had no problem shelling out the money for the voyage. And that's the point, it was a voyage, an adventure to a completely different continent. I needed a passport!
Detroit is not an adventure, it's merely a trip back for the holidays to visit family. Let's call it a 'Guilt' trip. Given the current situation in the Motor City, I believe they should be giving me some kind of discount to venture back. I even promise to say nice things about Detroit when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment