Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Where Are the Odor Eaters When You Need Them?

My daughter has recently started doing her own laundry. Some friends would say I waited way too long to bestow this responsibility upon her, but I never really minded doing it. If I was throwing in a load of my stuff, why not include some of her dirty laundry? She never really seemed to have much. And yesterday, I discovered her secret.
I was going downstairs to throw in some jeans and sweaters and noticed her blue knee socks, part of her daily school uniform, were wadded up in balls under the living room table.
"Would you like me to throw those in the wash?" I asked. "I'm doing a load."
"Nah, it's okay," she said. "I'm going to wear them again tomorrow."
"But they're dirty," I protested. "That's digusting. Let me wash them."
"No, really, you don't have to," she insisted. "I wear my socks for a week before I wash them."
This explains why the child's feet smell like stale fritos. I was totally appalled.
"If anyone at school finds out about that, you'll be the class pariah."
When she went to the gym later in the evening, I threw the socks in the wash.
It wasn't until this morning, while at work, that I remembered I'd forgotten to put them in the dryer.
I hope she had another dirty pair tucked away somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment