Monday, February 22, 2010

New Hope For The Rhythmically Challenged

So out of the clear blue last week, my dear friend E's younger sister A suggested we all go salsa dancing.
"But I don't know how to salsa," I said, thinking this would get me off the hook.
It didn't.
Saturday night I found myself signed up for salsa lessons at a trendy little nightclub/dinner place. They put me in the beginners class but I'm sure had there been a sub-beginners group, that's where I would have been placed. E and A, both of Argentinian heritage, were put in the intermediate class.
I am a tragically Caucasian woman who was born with two flat feet and no rhythm. Remember the Seinfeld episode years ago when Elaine danced? I make her look like the Dancing Queen.
The biggest issue seems to be centered right in my pelvis and neighboring hips. They refuse to move, it's like they're fused in place.
Fortunately, during my lesson Saturday night, this was not a concern. The instructor seemed more fixated on my feet which were having a hell of a time trying to keep up with the other students. I seemed to be about a beat and half behind everyone else.
Halfway through the class, I decided I'd had enough and slipped off to find the ladies room. Then I went back to the table to wait for E and A...and I ordered us a round of the house specialty drink. I'll be damned if I can remember what the waitress called it, but it was green and smooth, ice cold with a touch of coconut!
At some point in the evening, the regular bar crowd swarmed inside, young people ready to dance and have a good time. And let me tell you, they could dance.
"Okay, I'm ready to go," said E.
"But we haven't danced yet," said A. "I came here to dance."
"I'm just having a swell time watching the festivities," I said. And I was. Off in a far corner, one couple was having a tough time deciding whether to dance or have sex right there on the dance floor. Both of their pelvic regions worked just fine.
Someone must have picked up A's need to dance because out of nowhere three young men seemed to be loitering near our table, and then their drinks were sitting on our table, and then all three of us were asked to dance.
"Can't I sit here and watch?" I asked. "I will be very happy to just watch."
"No, no, no!" said A. :You cannot say no. Get out there and dance!"
At least I got the tall guy. Who I might add, was an extremely nice person and laughed everytime I decided to lead, which was pretty funny considering I had no idea what to do!
Every time the music stopped and I thanked him for the dance and started heading back to the table, he'd grab my hand and insist we keep dancing.
And then something interesting happened. I finally got it. I wasn't perfect, I won't be on Dancing with the Stars anytime soon, but I was following his lead and my hips, knees, and feet all seemed to work in conjunction with one another!
Yep...it's kind of nice to get out of your comfort zone every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment