Thursday, October 8, 2009

It Fills Me With Glee

The past several television seasons have been a real disappointment for me. Where were the Freaks and Geeks, The Wonder Years, the Malcom in the Middles. I held out some hope when Desperate Housewives hit the airwaves, but lost interest by season 2.

There was no happiness to be found on television, not for me, anyway. And then, I heard about Glee.
This is a new show on the Fox network that should be assigned watching for middle to high school-aged students. Absolutely wonderful. I even stay up an hour past my bedtime on Wednesday nights just to watch it.
The show centers around Mr. Schuester,an Ohio high school teacher who longs to bring back his own glory days of being a member of the Glee club. He assembles a group consisting of the lowest on the high school food chain to the coolest of the jocks and cheerleaders. Together, they have one goal: to win the local high school glee club regional competition. But are they good enough?

The writing is brilliant. Every cast member the perfect choice for their given role. These kids can sing and they made me laugh,and they broke my heart, and they had me rethink my own high school days and the class systems I knew all too well. The adults are even better, from the germaphobic guidance counselor, Emma Pillsbury to Sue Sylvester, the militaristic cheerleading coach who believes terrifying children helps motivate them!
Has Glee changed my life? Has it inspired me to be a better human being? No, c'mon, that's asking an awful lot of a t.v. show, especially a musical-dramedy. But for at least one night a week, for one sweet hour, I'm pulled away from all the garbage that's happening in the world, and I smile.
And that's enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment