Thursday, October 15, 2009

Winging It

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than the things you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  Mark Twain


I am not a "spur of the moment" kind of person. I like to have a gameplan, an outline on the events that will affect my life. Sure, there will always be the things that will be out of one's control, no matter how organized the plan, but for the most part, I enjoy playing it safe. But as I get older, I've been trying to change, trying to free myself up to new opportunities.
That's why I'm headed to Paris for the weekend to celebrate my 50th birthday. Yep, that Paris...the one in France. It never would have happened without "M". She's the catalyst for this impromptu voyage, and she's also my traveling companion, and the one who arranged the itinerary.
At some point, probably several years ago, I must have mentioned how I hoped to get back to Europe before hitting the half century mark. Did I really bother to take myself seriously, of course not. Life was crazy, there was a child to raise and a job to report to during the week.
But "M" didn't forget. She booked our flight, reserved a hotel near the Eiffel Tower, and then, knowing my unease with surprise, called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me and let the idea sink in. She understands my need to plan.
So we leave this afternoon, after my workday ends. It'll be a short trip, and we'll pack in as much of the excitement of Paris that we can in two full days. My family is more than capable of taking care of themselves, in fact I'm certain both hubby and child do the happy dance whenever I'm gone.
So Paris awaits me and M. Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to give my guidebook a once over and recheck my suitcase.
Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment