Monday, October 12, 2009

My Dehydrating Quest to Kill Germs

My hands are very dry today. I've been going crazy with the liquid hand sanitizer and it's taking a toll on my skin. The Swine flu frenzy is well under way, and while I ponder whether or not to get the vaccine, the hygiene freak inside me is having a field day. I carry a mini-bottle of sanitizer in my purse, as well as wipes. I use the pump bottle provided at work on my way to and from the ladies room, the kitchen, and the elevator. I think twice before scratching my nose with my hand, opting instead to use my sweater-covered arm.
And of course, the huge debate continues: Is the vaccine safe? Are we idiots if we don't get it. What about companies forcing their employees to get vaccinated?

Currently, from what I understand, there is a limited supply of the H1N1 Vaccine available, and right now only a select group of people can get it, like pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems. Once those in the higher risk groups are protected, the rest of us schleps can get vaccinated, if there's anything left.
My daughter and I have both received the seasonal flu vaccines, we had no side effects, not that I anticipated any. People who claim they always get the flu after getting a flu shot were probably already getting sick, at least that's what my doctor tells me. Still, like many other people, I too had my questions about the Swine vaccine. After a long talk with my daughter's pediatrician, a true non-alarmist, I was left very reassured. The good doctor says it's a safe vaccine, produced in a very similiar way to the seasonal variety. She recommended that my daughter get it as soon as it was available to her, and me too.
In the meantime, I'll keep slathering on that hand sanitizer.

4 comments:

  1. I have to respectfully disagree....It's too rushed...remember....red meat is bad for you, read meat is good for you, eat carbs not fat...YIKES no...eat fats not carbs...etc....Odds are probably with you...but really...more deaths from the seasonal flu every year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have myself sealed in plastic...either that or find a cave to live in till the flu season passes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive read reports b4 about vaccines and more people get sick from the shots then those that didnt get it, but later got the flu.

    Im an idiot who forgets too much, but isnt the flu shot a small dose of the germ and injected so the immune system can react to it and be on guard for any future full blown virus attack?
    Eat heatlthy, take care of yourself and dont stress out. There is a great youtube video with in interview from the lady that heads the CDC.

    Ive made a blog that has helpful tips at
    http://johnzworld2.blogspot.com/

    I saw you say in the coffeeshop that your new . I like creating pictures and when I first started blogging and learned things, i made these

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for posting, John! I the think every flu season the debate will always rage between those who swear by flu shots and those who don't! I get one every year because my office is filled with germy people (not that I don't love em) and we share alot of the same equipment! I've never encountered a problem by getting the vaccine, but as is the case with many things in life, it all comes down to a personal decision.
    I'll be checkin out your blog!

    ReplyDelete